Thursday, August 26, 2010

Tooled Phone Holster

Here is a side project I started why the binder project dries.  I needed a new cell phone holster in a natural color...the black one needed repairing.  The pattern was my own.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Tooled Spine

Spine was completed late last night......moving to oil and dye now......after I will sew the front and back together!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Casing Leather

Starting the spine that will join both front and back.  I am going to do a simple horizontal pattern using my Pro-crafter's heart basketweave.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Background Dyed

Well..we are progressing quite well...the purple hi-lite stain is from Eco-Flo products.  I am working on a second coat to finalize the coverage.  The spine I will start next.

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Tooled Back Panel

Here is the back...sorry for skipping ahead without showing you the design.  I chose a hidecrafter basketweave with a heart in the center.  The angle was set at a standard 30• parallel to the bottom cut line.  For the border, I chose a Barry King three heart half circle border tool.  The line behind the border tool was created using an old Craftool beadedr blade at 3 3/16th.

Embossed School Logo

Here is the final embossed product...not really happy with it, but most importantly...several lessons learned.

Adding Leather Dust

Photo #3

Starting the Initial Embossing

Photo #2

Mixing Leather Dust

In the first picture, it shows the leather dust mixed in rubber cement and was placed the cavity of the embossed part of photo number 2.  Photo #3 shows the mat board, I have prepared with rubber cement to be glued to the back of photo #2.  I have pre moistened the ebossed part in photo #1 in preparation for the rebevelling of the outer ring of the embossed part.  Stay tuned!

Friday, August 13, 2010

3 ring binder

The floral areas are done with the exception of decorative cuts.....now time to move onto the embossing of the word WALSH and wildcat paw in the center.  I will adding moisture to the back concentrating on the beveling outline I have left.  Once the water sets into to the grain side, I will use a marble and marble boulder to roll the leather up from the flesh side until I am satisfied.....progressing well.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Swivel Knife Work

Here is the front panel design transferred and cut out with the swivel knife....I am not really used to such small flowers, but it worked out well.  I started with the flower centers and petal shading....to be continued!

Pattern Draft

Here is the final draft of the front panel design for the 3-ring binder.  I have decided to make the exterior of this project in 3 pieces.  Front & back panels and the spine.  I am thinking the spine will be either basketweave with hearts or a ribbin type geometric stamp...the back panel will be a floral ring with the maker stamp decorated.  The interior will be floral as well.  Stay tune!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Leather Soaking

Starting a school binder with some carving, stamping and figure carving with embossing...stay tune!

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A friend handed me a 'pick guard' for one of his Fender guitars that he is rebuilding.  He said....I heard you work with leather.  I said yea as a hobby.  He went on to tell me that he has seen these elaborately carved guards.....can I make one?  I said sure I can probably throw one together.  He asked me....will it be as nice?  I will give it an old college try......as he handed me the guard...he said we'll see....this is my first rough draft copy...the middle will have a multi directional arrowhead basket stamping...stay tuned!

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Pictorial Board

At our last guild meeting, I was the instructional presenter for the membership.  We did a small embossing picture of the fish attached which was adapted from Dick Giehl's pattern.  Also attached was the story board that I prepared to help out during the class.  It received great reviews so far!

Another Picture Mat

I am on a roll with picture mats....her another design of mine...I really like this type of flower.  I tried to stay within the western floral concept.  I haven't decided what type of finish it will receive yet.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Picture Mat Gift

They say that things happen in threes.....here is the third one in this series......it was made for couple I recently met who have been kind to me and especially my kids at a venue we attend often.  I found out that they recently got married...so here is their surprise gift!

Picture Mat

Okay so I was a little more busy than first mentioned!  I worked on this design and one more while completing Charlie's present.  A few more pictures to come.......

Dyeing Completed

Well....it is done!  A light brown antique paste and tan kote finish was applied and allowed to dry overnight.  It ia ready for a final trim and edge work

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Background Dyed

Here I have the background completed in Fiebing's Mahogany......ready for some Neat-Lac tonight.