This morning I applied my resist 'Clear-Lac' (courtesy of Springfield Leather); allowed to dry for a couple hours and then applied some sheridan brown antique paste. My paste is laced with Tan Kote, so some protection is added. I cut the template out and trimmed my edges. I will glue a lining in the next couple of days.
Sunday, October 31, 2010
Saturday, October 30, 2010
I have completed the first stage of my dyeing. I will allow it to dry and in the AM, I will put on my resist and allow it to dry again.
I wanted to try my hand at the new Tandy LF 'smartphone' kit, but with two excepts! One, I do not have the kit and two, I do not like the designs offered in the kit. So, I drew up a simple pattern design and drew out a pattern to fit my Droid. Hope you enjoy!
Sunday, October 24, 2010
Since I couldn't sleep I thought I would work on leather. I made some little holsters so my knives will travel safety and protected. I colored them using Eco-Flo Antique Gels. I am thinking that I may lace them up....not sure. I will waiting until the next night I cannot sleep!
Saturday, October 23, 2010
Here is the picture mat completed minus the sealant coat. It places too much of a glare when I take a phtotograph. The oak leaves were dyed with sunshine yellow on the base followed by canyon tan as a hi lite dye. Once that dried, I proceed emerald green as a solid base about 95% coverage and completed it with emerald green diluted to a 1 to 2 ratio to complete the coverage. After the dye dried, I sprayed on a coat of Fiebing's Leather Sheen and let it dry for about an hour. Two coats of liquid Super Sheen followed and some medium brown antique gel. The project will receive some Tan Kote before affixing to frame base.
Friday, October 22, 2010
I have completed the background with my last drops of the Fiebings Mahogany dye I had! Finally, I can break out a new bottle I purchased 6 months ago.......a good healthy coat of Bee Natural RTC finish was put on the piece 'after' the dye completely dried. It has been set aside until tomorrow.
Sunday, October 17, 2010
I completed tooling the 'sample' design for an upcoming course at Tandy Leather Factory in November. I decided the design is fitting for the season. After tooling, I lightly coated the project with EVOO. I will continue the process after the oil sinks into the fibers. Next will come the dyeing process. Stay tuned!
A member of our guild suggested that we create a 'leather' quilt representing all of members and their specific leathercraft art. Here is my piece #12. I call it the smoking skull!
Saturday, October 16, 2010
The finished touches has been completed....a coat of Fiebing Mahogany paste mixed with Tan Kote! What a beautiful look....on to its new owner....with a piece of scrap from this project I was able to make into a nice coaster as an added gift! Stay tune for some information about this project to come later on! Enjoy!
Friday, October 15, 2010
I applied some light coats of Clear-Lac (vendor: Springfield Leather) and will allow it to dry for the entire day before putting on my Fiebings antique paste.
Wednesday, October 13, 2010
I am working on a secret, secret project that I promised someone for January 2011. It is still in the works, but I wanted post some details on my blog! From casing leather to decorative knife cuts....3.25 hours. Yea I know....a long time, but there was a lot of photos being taken.
Saturday, October 9, 2010
Here are two of the most wonderful people that I have had the pleasure of meeting. Chuck and Lana Smith of C. Smith & Company makers of some of the best leather working tools on the market!
Visit them on the Face book and your local leather showing. The show was awesome. I also attached a few other pictures of saddles in the competition. You can check out my Facebook site for further photographs from the show @ King's X Custom Leather Works.