Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Simple Wallet Project is Finished!

After sewing the perimeter and setting the stitching with a light tap of a hammer.  I prepared my edges and finished them with a mixture of Atom Wax & Acrylic Resolene.  On to the next project!

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Sewing has been completed

I took a 3 cord white thread to sew this project up.

Wallet Prepared for Sewing

I marked an border around the perimeter at approximately the thickness of the exterior & interior plus 1/16th of an inch.  After I had the border marked, I took my (modified) chisel and punched my sewing holes all around.

Monday, August 29, 2011

Exterior & Interior Glued

Once the interior edges were completed and the interior sewing is finished.  I applied contact cement to both back of the exterior and interior wallet backs.  Once they became tacky, I joined them together being careful to start on one side.  I made sure that I placed the exterior wallet back in a semi closed position before attaching the second half.  Finally, I used my bone folder to work the edges around the money clip and perimeter edges to make sure that good contact is made.

Interior Parts

The interior is very simple and consists of three pieces.  The interior wall, left card slot and right card slot.  I made sure to complete my edges on the top of the card slot pieces and on the sides that will be sewn down.  The left card slot had to have one side sewn down before the interior was attached to the exterior.

Money Clip Installed

I marked the center of the wallet back and applied some contact cement to this area.  I also applied some contact cement to the outer portion of the money clip.  When the cement became tacky, I carefully centered the money clip and wrapped the wallet back around the clip.  I then sewed the wallet back along the money clip post from top to bottom.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

New Simple Wallet

I started this new simple wallet design using a piece of surplus leather I had in storage.  For the interior, I decided on Hermann Oak Veg-Tan.   I will be using a spring loaded money clip.

Friday, August 26, 2011

Edges, Edges and Finally Edges!

I use my drum sander to even out the edges and remove all glue residue.  I then prepped and completed my edges.  Project done!

Glued & Magnets

I have installed (2) 3/8" earth magnets with a 1.2 lb security.  Once they were glued in, I applied glue to both pieces and secured them when it became tacky.  I then used my cocobolo stick and molded the leather around the magnets. 

New Money Clip

I had an idea for a new money clip using several design factors currently out there.  I found earth magnets for the securement portion.  This is the final template that I came up with for this project.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Wallet & Card Case Finished

I coated these projects with Clear-Lac, finished the edges and placed in my inventory shelf.

Monday, August 15, 2011

New and Quick Projects

I started another credit card sleeve.....this time I decided to go with a floral design.  At the same time, I started a matching business card case.

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Glue, Sew and Finish

Once the finish was buffed, I glued the tag pieces together and trimmed them up using my head knife.

I then punched my hole using modified Craftool chisel at 7 stitches per inch.  I used a waxed 5 cord in natural for this project.

A half inch brass buckle was used for the 9 inch strap.  Once the edges were finished, the item was shipped out.

Friday, August 12, 2011

Next Step

After the dye settled in and dried, I took some Clear-Lac and applied it to the tags to include the interior areas.  When the lacquer dried, I took some antique paste and applied it to the carving area.  When the paste dried, I wiped the residue off and buffed it lightly.

Luggage Tag

I decided to make a pair of custom luggage tags for some friends in California.  After deciding on the shape and size.  I picked a floral design for one side and a maker stamp on the other.

I selected a light brown dye for the background and chocolate for the exterior/interior.

Monday, August 8, 2011

New Key Fob Mallet Die

I received my new mallet key fob die from Heather at Texas Custom Dies.   I wanted something unique so I drew up a small hide outline at just under 2" x 3".  Fits my largest makers stamp perfect even with some extra decoration.  Need a die.....call Texas Custom Dies.

New Tool Design ~ Will Be a Limited Run



I had this design on the drawing board for quite sometime. I am constantly traveling to teach leather craft and I am always looking for tools that can do multiple duties since sometimes space is limited. This tool is more of a 4 in 1 tool. It will pierce holes for hand sewing, a scratch awl, burnish and large area embosser. At a length size of a dollar, it is compact enough for travel. The first run are going as special gifts, and I will probably sell some down the road. What do you thinks of the design concept.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Look What I Finished!

I finally finished the 'couch' stitching pony.  I made the base to slid under my legs to provide a good stable platform when sewing.  I know that most ponies have a horizontal bar, but I heard about too much movement.  Yea, I know I went over board, but it sure looks purdy!

Monday, August 1, 2011

Final Piece Installed

The top pieced has been glue and set in place to the custom skate bag.  All I have left is to check the setting and clearance and sew it up.  The last thing left is the shoulder strap.