Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Finish Applied

Continuing with last post, I wanted to continue my test of the new products recently released by Tandy Leather Factory.   As a sealant, I chose the satin 'Professional Finish' and applied it with a scrap piece of wool.  As you can see that some of the dye did come off onto the wool piece, but it did not affect the finish color whatsoever.  The second photo shows the satin finish completely dried.  I took another piece of wool and lightly buffed the project.......again.....it came out clean with no residue.  As for the wear and tear reliability especially on a baseball cap is yet to be determined.  I will say that I am pretty impressed and it would @certainly be a product for any level of leathercrafter, but in my opinion for anyone that has experienced dyeing issues........like me!  Thanks for following another project on this blog.

5 comments:

  1. I just got my eco pro matte finish a week ago and used it to finish a wallet I used Fiebings pro black oil dye. I buffed it out after letting the finish dry over night and a bunch of dye still comes off on the t-shirt. You have the same problem with your bill? I also used some oil before dying the wallet. Could that affect the finish not curing? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your problem could be the use of Eco Pro product with an oil dye like Fiebings. Oil and water do not typically mix well. This project is probably done and will continue to do this especially in a pocket. Try not to mix water based products with spirit or oil dyes. Sorry to here that this happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah should have realized that one for sure.. Anyway thanks for the help! I actually just covered over the eco pro matte with some satin sheen and it stopped the dye from rubbing off on my white tee I use to buff leather with. I just got some of this Fiebings oil dye and am pretty new to it. Any suggestions on a matte finish?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure there is a product that will provide you a satin finish. With my oil and spirit dyes, I usually use Bee natural's RTC or Clear Lac. I would strongly suggest that you contact your local Tandy leather or Kevin at Springfield Leather and ask them for industry advice. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good! Thanks again for the advice!!

    ReplyDelete