Monday, January 16, 2012

Gluing the Top Layer

Here is where the inlay comes to life. I applied a couple of coats of cement to the chrome tan piece and the top piece of leather. I took extra steps to stay clear of the ribbon shape. If cement made it onto the ribbon shape, it will show in the final embossed area.
You can see how the project will take shape and how much the embossing will show through in the final piece.
Once the glue became tacky, I carefully joined the pieces together being careful to avoid the ribbon shape. After I joined the pieces together the way I wanted them to sit. I took my fingers and carefully went around the perimeter of the shape to make sure the pieces made good contact.
Now all I have left is to prepare the project for stitching and trimming.

2 comments:

  1. Hello
    Thank you very much for sharing this tutorial, is very clear and well explained. The leather is also my hobby, so I sign this technique to apply in some work :)
    a greeting

    http://cuerotalabarte.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog. Stay tune for more interesting projects in 2012.

    ReplyDelete