Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Practicing Inlay Work

I committed my work for an upcoming Susan G. Komen Benefit auction to help raise money for one of my Facebook friends. She is planning on attending a foundation event in Boston, Mass later this year. In order to help her defray the costs, she is collecting items for an auction. She and I spoke about the event and discussed how personal this issue was to her as a survivor. I gave her some homework and told her to think about what she wanted me to make for her. I wanted her to have as much input into this project as I did because it was so personal for her. She came back and told me that she wanted a 'belt bag' for a woman that is specific to motorcycle riders. So, now I had the project idea. I did some research and selected the perfect ribbon style for this project. I really found this style to be the right size and have the right flow. Now, I do have experience with inlay work and I made a belt bag with inlay work that I posted here. The problem was that this logo had intersecting lines. Since I did not have experience with inlay work and intersecting lines, I decided to experiment. I took the ribbon style that I selected and transferred it to tracing paper. I cased my scrap piece and transferred the logo onto the leather. I then cut-out the ribbon shape(see second picture). Onto the next step.....

No comments:

Post a Comment