Friday, March 2, 2012

Filling in the Spaces

As you practice your swivel knife cuts in this tutorial, remember to start your cuts heavy and fade it out at the end to a light cut. I get asked quite a bit how deep should someone cut. I can tell you how I was taught to use my swivel knife. When I first started in leather craft, I did the typical "rookie" errors. One of them was not cutting deep enough into the leather. I later learned that you should cut at least half way through the leather of the project you are working on. This will give you better depth later on when you tooled the project. The reason for feathering your cuts is to help with definition and transition of each object in your design. All I have to say is just try something different than what you are used to doing or what you are currently doing.
What you see in the pictures above are just filler cuts to make up space between each object. Again, start deep and feather out your cuts. In the last picture, you can see that I hit a stump with how finish the end. I just did what I thought was best to complete the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment