Saturday, April 28, 2012
One request from the new owner was some form of bling. I am not a fan of total bling, but I wanted to honor her wishes while still keeping it more towards the simple side. I took the back belt piece and started to make the holes to accept the bling rivets.
Monday, April 23, 2012
Once I made sure that no more black dye was being removed from the buffing. I took my Wyo-Sheen, a substitute to the old Neat-Lac sold by Sheridan Outfitters in Wyoming and applied it to my 'tips' and back piece. I made sure to rub in the product in all areas especially the carving areas.
Thursday, April 19, 2012
With a thin brush, I took my Fiebing's Black Oil Dye and carefully applied it around the carving on the 'tips' of this belt project. After I made it around both 'tips,' I took a larger brush to cover the rest of the leather.
Sunday, April 15, 2012
I laid out the two 'tips' on a flat table and used my tape measure to measure out the belt length needed. Once I had the 'tips' set up (spaced) correctly, I put some weights on them to hold them in place. I then took a measurement from where the 'tips' start to reduce into the scalloped piece on both sides. This measurement would be the length of strap that I would need for the geometric (back) piece. I laid out the stamping area minus a mimic border where the scalloped tips will be sewn on, as well as, the edge border. Clay Miller Tools suggested an "X" pattern to be made with a basket weave for the back piece to be unique. I selected my Hidecrafter's Pro-Crafter Basket weave with a 'heart' in the center for this project. Since I knew that I would be applying crystals to the back piece, I wanted to make sure that the owner would not have a crystal dead center on the back under the pants loop. I measured the strap and located the center back and lightly marked it. This is where I started my basket weave pattern making sure that the center of 'X' would meet at this location. Using the basket weave example that Clay made for me, I laid out a few patterns to start the project off. Barry King border tool with 'Hearts.' I tooled the border all the way around the area that I previously beveled.
Wednesday, April 11, 2012
After cutting the pattern with my swivel knife, I tooled the billet and buckle 'tips.' After the tooling was completed, I applied a light coat of oil to the pieces.
Monday, April 9, 2012
Here is a special belt that I was commissioned to make for a young lady in Florida. She happens to be a great role model for our youth and holds a youth Rodeo Queen title for her area. When we started to communicate, I quickly learned how proud she was of her title and how much she loved horses. I also learned that she was supported by her mother who provided all of her equipment. As with all of my projects, I was given the freedom of design for this project. I decided on making a 3 piece belt because I haven't had a chance to make one before. I have seen several makers who have produced these belts and they looked really good, so I wanted to give it a try. I decided to make a belt that incorporated floral & geometric design concepts. For assistance, I went to see Dan & Lynn at Uptmors Saddlery just east of Waco, Tx. I was able to get quite a bit of help and ideas for this project. Dan took it a step further and clicked out a couple of sets of 'tips' for me, as well as, drew the floral part on the 'tips.'
Friday, April 6, 2012
After the lining was completed. I cut a strip where the end caps will be glued and removed the lining leather. I roughed up the area that was just cleared. I also roughed up the area of the end cap and applied two coats of cement. Once the cement was tacky, I carefully attached the end caps. I use a steel roller to make sure the end caps made good contact. I then applied 'alligator' clips to keep the end caps in place.
Wednesday, April 4, 2012
The main body was the only part that required a liner. I decided to use pig skin in black as a liner. I thought the black color was blended well and does not take away from the exterior color. I applied two coats of Master's cement to the interior of the main body and the liner. Of course, allowing the first coat to dry before applying the second coat. When the final coat of glue became tacky, I (carefully) folded the liner back staying away from the glued part before applying it to the main body. I carefully aligned one side of the project with the liner. I rubbed the liner onto the project with my hand to make sure that I got good contact. I tried to keep the main body in a contour (round) shape as I applied the liner. I wanted this contour shape to be the final project shape.
Sunday, April 1, 2012
After picking out the area for the handle tabs, I roughed them up so the glue would have something to adhere to. I applied two coats of glue and attached the lower flap pressing down the leather to make sure it made good contact.