Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Final Touches & Pattern

After the resist completely dried on the project, I took some Fiebing's Antique Medium Brown paste and rubbed it over the entire project. After allowing it to dry a bit, I took the excess off the project. I then applied a coat of Tan Kote over the project for a protection finish.
Here is a close up of the completed project.
Okay, now that I jumped into the pot with this project, I would like to offer my followers an opportunity to give it a try. Below, is a small sample of the pattern used for this project. Good luck!
Onto the next project!

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Applying the Resistant

I took some Bee's Natural RTC Sheridan Finish and applied it to the project in two even coats. Of course, allowing the first coat to dry before applying the second coat.
Now, on to completing the project and post a small pattern for each of you to try out.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Beveling to Create the Look

Since I never tried this type of pattern before, I found it a bit challenging on where to begin. I studied the pictures of the 'basket weave' projects from my friends Facebook pages until I felt comfortable in beginning my journey. I took a smooth Craftool Beveler (small to medium size) and carefully beveled the designated corners making sure to go deep in the corners. I then took a custom leaf liner that I commissioned from Clay Miller Tools. I used this tool in the corners to create the vertical lines coming away from the corners. Again, I went deep in the corner and tipped the tool away to create shorter lines away from the corner. If I have confused you, don't worry, I confused myself, but take a look at the photograph below.
Once I completed the one side, I turned the project 180 degrees and proceeded to tool the opposite side until I completed the entire project. I allowed the project to dry and applied a light coat of neatsfoot oil to the entire project.
Here is a close up of the completed project tooled.

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Swivel Knife Cuts

As you can see by the pattern transfer that there are a whole bunch of short straight lines. I was thinking of cutting the lines free hand with my swivel knife, but I did not want to screw them up. So, I busted out my clear ruler and used it to help me cut the lines. After cutting all of the lines in one direction, I took a glance to see how it turned out.
After feeling a bit of an accomplishment with the first side, I proceeded to the other side and cut the lines using my ruler.
Here is a bit closer look at the cut lines.
Now, onto the tooling part of this project.

Friday, May 11, 2012

Basket Weave Pattern

Lately, I have been seeing this type of pattern on leather by many of my Japanese leather crafters. I just found it to be really cool looking. So, I thought that I would give it a try. One disadvantage for me was that most of these crafters had special tools to make the tooling marks. Never fear....with a couple of try-outs, I tested a couple of tool combination and with a little sweat equity I was able to make it work out. So I put a simple pattern together and got my piece of leather ready to try this out.
Here is a close up look at the pattern drawn on the cased leather.
Stay tune!

Monday, May 7, 2012

The Belt Interior

After attaching the 'tips' to the back belt strap, I glued a 2oz veg-tan liner to the completed belt. Once the pieces were joined together, I used my glass burnisher to rub the interior and make sure that both pieces made good contact. I then applied some of my casing solution to the liner and allowed it to set in. Using a nice simple pattern, I carved the design on the liner using my swivel knife only.
When I finished carving the interior, I used my Barry King border swivel knife blade and cut (lightly) a border around the interior of the liner. I allowed the liner to dry a bit before I proceeded to dye the border perimeter using some Fiebing's Black Oil dye.
I applied a couple of light coats of Fiebing's Bag Kote to the project and completed my edges. This thread brings my 3-piece belt project to an end. The new owner was very pleased with the belt. I hope it brings her many years of use.
Thanks for following my blog. Stay tuned for more exciting projects!

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Attaching the Tips

The end is near for this project. The color and bling has been added. Now, we move to attaching the belt 'tips' to the back belt piece with the geometric stamping. Using the cut outline on the back piece near the ends, I place the scalloped part of the tips and lightly marked the outline to give me a reference to prepare the leather for glue. I took my scalpel and roughed up the inside of my guideline in a checkered pattern so the leather would accept the glue. Once I completed the roughing, I applied some Master's contact cement on the back piece where the rough area is located.
I also applied a coat of contact cement to the belt 'tips' as well. When it became dry and tacky, I applied a second coat of contact cement to both pieces.
When the second coat of contact cement became tacky, I carefully joined the 'tips' to the back belt piece remembering to cover my guideline so nothing would show later on. I then used my metal roller and ran it across the top of the 'tips' and underneath the back belt piece to make sure that both pieces made good contact. I took some black thread and created my holes for hand stitching the 'tips' to the back belt piece. I took my rubber eraser to remove any residue glue around the scalloped 'tips.'
The liner will be next......so stay tuned~!