Monday, May 7, 2012

The Belt Interior

After attaching the 'tips' to the back belt strap, I glued a 2oz veg-tan liner to the completed belt. Once the pieces were joined together, I used my glass burnisher to rub the interior and make sure that both pieces made good contact. I then applied some of my casing solution to the liner and allowed it to set in. Using a nice simple pattern, I carved the design on the liner using my swivel knife only.
When I finished carving the interior, I used my Barry King border swivel knife blade and cut (lightly) a border around the interior of the liner. I allowed the liner to dry a bit before I proceeded to dye the border perimeter using some Fiebing's Black Oil dye.
I applied a couple of light coats of Fiebing's Bag Kote to the project and completed my edges. This thread brings my 3-piece belt project to an end. The new owner was very pleased with the belt. I hope it brings her many years of use.
Thanks for following my blog. Stay tuned for more exciting projects!

2 comments:

  1. Teach me how to make this... please!
    EH

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really easy, but it takes practice. Basically, find a pattern you like and cut it with your swivel knife. Your cuts have to be really nice with a fading tail since that is all of the tooling you will be doing. As you can see in this picture, the interior that I used consist of a flower and a couple of stickers joined together in alternating waves. Give a it a try!

    ReplyDelete