Friday, July 27, 2012

Installing the Gusset

I ran into a problem with a specific color of thread for one of my bags in this project, but I quick came up with a solution. I took some un-waxed cotton thread and carefully dipped it into some dye for the color I needed. I inserted the thread and closed the cap to the dye bottle. I shook it vigorously until I felt that it covered all of the thread good. I then removed the cap and carefully pulled the thread out hanging it allowing it to dry. Once it dried, I used a piece of paper towel to make sure that the excess dye was removed. I then applied wax to the thread and proceed to use it for stitching.
I applied contact cement to the perimeter of the gusset and carefully attached it when the glue became tacky. I used 'alligator' clips to help keep the gusset in place while I worked around the area. I then punched my stitching holes and stitched the first gusset before I proceeded to the second one.
I repeated my process for attaching the second gusset. This was repeated for both bags.

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Adding a Liner

I took some 2 ounce veg tan leather to use as my project liners. First, I took a hammer and pounded down the stitching on the inside to make them less obvious after applying the liner. I made sure to cut the liner a bit larger than the project shape. I then used Master's Contact Cement and applied it to both sides of each project. Once the cement was ready, I attached the project to the liner leather (carefully) until it made a good bond. I then used my glass burnisher and rubbed the liner leather in several directions to insure good contact.
In the picture above, you will see why I mentioned earlier why I was not happy with the shape of the ribbon inlay after it was glued and shaped. As you can see from the interior that it left a bit of an odd shape to the final project. Oh well. After the gluing was completed, I trimmed the excess liner leather to match the project shape. I also added a belt loop strap to the back of each bag.
Now, for the gusset and finishing this project.....

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Attaching the Inlay

Don't ask me why I trimmed the card board so much. If I am unhappy about one thing with this project it would have to be this decision. Either way, after trimming the inlay, I carefully applied contact cement to the piece. I also applied contact cement to the interior of the bag flap around the ribbon cut out. I waited for the cement to set in and become tacky before I carefully attach the inlay.
Once the inlay was attached, I carefully and with a bit of force use my thumb to press around the ribbon to make sure that the cement makes contact with both pieces.
Here are both of the flaps completed after the inlays are attached. The next step is to scribe the stitch lines around the ribbons for stitching.

Friday, July 6, 2012

Creating the Inlays

Nothing goes to waste with this project. The ribbons that were cut from the bag panels were kept for the inlays.
I took a piece of white poster board slightly larger than the respective ribbons. I took each panel and marked the outline of the cut-out ribbons on the poster board. I then took the pieces left from the cut-out and glued them to the poster board making sure to stay within the outline lines. I then took my Barry King #4 edger and trimmed the top of the glued ribbon pieces. I will show you why I did this later in the blogspot.
I then cut out a piece of leather in this case Pink chrome tan for the inlay color a bit larger than the poster board. I then applied a coat of Master's Contact cement to both the piece of inlay leather and poster board with the ribbon pieces. I made sure to get cement all around the ribbon pieces. This will help in making sure the leather adheres to every piece of this part of the project. Before I move on, I make sure that the cement becomes tacky before I proceed.
This part requires a bit of caution since you are dealing with contact cement. I carefully apply leather to the poster board while still holding the leather with my other hand. Once it was positioned where I wanted it, I used my modeling spoon to make sure that the leather adheres around the ribbon pieces. Since the chrome tan has some stretch to it, I was able to work it around the leather pieces before adhering it the poster board.

Monday, July 2, 2012

Dyeing the Pieces

I decided to pick two colors from the Tandy Leather Factory, Professional Water Stain Dye set for this project.
One of the colors was black and the second one was a medium brown. This particular type of dye takes a bit to get used to when you get started. Especially if you have experience with other dyes on the market including the Eco-Flo water based dyes. You will find out after application and drying time there will be very little residue to be wiped off. I have had great results and positive experiences with this new dye set.
Once the projects was completely dry, I used my scalpel and cut the ribbons out to prepare them for the next step.....the inlays.