Saturday, August 18, 2012

Skiving the Leather

After cutting the piece of exotic leather needed for this pen project, I skive the edges and center of the leather depending on the thickness. For me is important since this type of pen is a twist action pen. If the barrel ends up too thick, the twist action will either not work or will strip the interior connector and the pen's life will be short lived. Trust me!
I put the pen parts together and check the barrel & leather before I glue to make sure the fit is perfect! Once I am satisfied, I move on to glue up the leather onto the barrel tube. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I am really interested in leathercraft and always wanted to get started. Will you be able to suggest me some tools to get started? Will be real nice if you can suggest me a website where i can get it and also some nice leather. :) planning to start off with a simple wallet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenny ....welcome to my blog. I would check out www.leatherworker.net. this site is where I learned so much at the beginning. Of course, there is always Facebook where I have made quite a few friends from your region. I believe LW will be able to provide you with all of the answers you bed to get started. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete