Monday, February 25, 2013

No More Plastic Bags ~ Reusable Market Bag

In March 2013, our sister city to the south (Austin) will start enforcing their new ban on non-biodegradable shopping bags we commonly refer to as 'Plastic.' In honor of this action that Keeps Austin Weird, I have decided to publish the making of my SoCo Market bag. Sit back and enjoy the this project. After selecting the size and finding a comparable pattern from one of my reference books, I made a paper pattern for the main parts of this project. I selected some good pull up type leather that I purchased at Tandy on the discounted shelf. I was going more for the look and color than the quality. There were some marks and scars on this leather, which I felt enhanced the look for this project. I marked the leather using my paper pattern and made the necessary cuts to include the straps and inner cellphone pocket. Stay tune for more on this quality project!

3 comments:

  1. Great idea. Here in Spain they actually CHARGE for plastic bags now. They sell some roll-up fabric types that you can carry to the store and re-use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is interesting to hear. I believe there is one lawsuit already been talked about or filed by business owners. Not sure how this will work out. What I do know is that this bag has been a hit in public. In fact many have asked the owner if it was a 'coach' bag. I find that comment most interesting since it is pretty raw in the finishing. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What reference did you use for the pattern? I would like to make my wife one.

    ReplyDelete