Friday, May 23, 2014

Spur Stand: Wood and Leather Project

I am constantly looking for project ideas to share with all of you. Lately, I have been on a wood and leather medium kick. I have seen a few spur stands and decided to make my own. I borrowed a pair of spurs from my friends at White's Leather Shop in Milam, Texas for this project. Follow me for the steps on completing this project.

After selecting the stand base, I moved on to a pattern. I decided to go with a Northwest motiff for the carving pattern.



I traced and cut a shadow pattern for the base. I then took a piece of 4-5oz of Wickett & Craig leather in Russett color and transferred my pattern onto cased leather. I carved and stamped the piece of leather. I really liked how this pattern turned out. Oh, just in case you are wondering why the secret.....well this project will be a gift so I didn't want to ruin the surprise.



After the stamping was completed, I decided to dye the background a Fiebing's Light Brown, which created a slight difference in color change. After the dye completely dried overnight, I applied a coat of oil over the entire project.



Here is what most people call a major disruption of the brain. I was intending on applying a resist product and then using some antique paste to complete the leather piece. Instead, I picked up my Antique Paste and applied it liberally when I realized my error. Oh well, the show must go on right? I ended up liking how it turned out even though it was not my original plan.

I then took the shadow pattern and outlined the leather piece to mock up the project to this point. I also had a friend stitch a single line around the border of the project. He thought it would kick up the beauty of the project a bit. I agree!



I sanded the base, rods and spur bases to 400 grit and applied a stain to the oak wood pieces. They were allowed to dry overnight and completed with two coats of a poly varnish. After the multiple coats completely dried, I took some #0000 steel wool and Johnson paste wax and rubbed the wax on all pieces to a slick finish.

I mocked up the project one more time before I applied the wood glue to complete this project.



I cannot forget my maker's mark. So as not to distract the viewers, I decided to place it underneath the project base.



I contacted my Facebook friend Bob Ewing at R.Ewing Knives in Ventura, Califoria and told him that I had a gift to send him. The item was shipped and arrived safely at its new home. I hope this project bring Bob years of use and business. Enjoy!



Thanks for following.....Until next time!

5 comments:

  1. really great carving! I am really impressed when I see people carving designs that are so small and dense. I think the antique paste always bleeds in. I have been using the stuff called Wyosheen which I think is supposed to be like Neat Lac, but it still seems like the antique colors the leather. I have a can of the fibings black antique that used only a few times because it seemed like it turned everything gray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the nice comments. As for the paste, yes it can overtake the leather and it did in some parts of this project. I was not intending to skip the step, but I did and well.....this was the finish color. Speaking of Wyosheen, I have a can of that in my hobby room, but I am finishing a can of Clear Lac purchased from Springfield Leather. I haven't had any problems with Wyosheen as you described, but I do not typically use Black paste. I do not think it is a flattering color personally. I have way to many questions as to why it maybe turning gray. I usually stick to sheridan brown or light brown and mahogany. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'gray' perhaps wasn't the best choice of words. Perhaps I just don't like the color either. I have used up a whole can of tan. I think I was using it too heavily and perhaps not clearing it away fully then kind of streaking it by also using too much tan cote. I have had more success lately. I agree the finish came out fine. The stitch line is also a great touch. It kind of evokes the stitch line around a pair of boots

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is probably not dye but additives that dried after application. I usually do a swift buff after allowing the dye to dry overnight. If you do not do this, you will probably wipe some dye off when applying Tan Kote. The stitch line was suggested to me by one of my mentors. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice work!! I am a beginner and always trying to learn. Just wondering if you would share what type of tool you used to cut-in your design after transferring your pattern? Is it a swivel knife? What kind of blade? Looks amazing. I know I need a ton more practice. Thanks for sharing your work

    ReplyDelete