Sunday, December 14, 2014

A Customized Maul Rack



As most of us have at one time, our mauls are just kept on the bench near our tools usually lined up from lightest to heaviest. After my last move, I spent a lot of time designing my new area. My goal was to keep as many tools off of my bench to create more work space. The idea for this project came after visiting Sears and seeing the screwdriver rack accessory they sold in the store. I thought why I could not create such an accessory for my mauls.

This project was intended to be mounted on the wall in my area, but it can easily and effectively mounted on the side of your tooling bench or desk.



To determine the width and length for this rack, I lined up my mauls and took some measurements. I added about 3/4" around each maul for proper space and grabbing ease. I used regular 3/4" stock that can be purchased at any home improvement store. With project and most of my other projects, I usually use whatever leftover wood I have from other projects, which is why I used 3/4". I am sure that 5/8" should be just find and hold up.



You will need two important measurements from your maul collection. You will need the outer most measurement of each maul, as well as, the inner measurement near the handle's edge. The first measurement is actually how your mauls will sit on your rack. The second measurement is what will allow the maul to access it's own space on the rack.

Because of my old age, I used a compass to mark the lines on my piece of wood plus I do not normally have time to work on my projects consecutively at a time so I need reminders.



With a ruler, draw straight lines parallel showing the entrance and exit path for each maul. I took it a step further and decided to rounded off the edges using washer that fit the right size.



Using my jig saw, I cut the parallel lines for each maul. Unless you have a large enough drill bit or forstner bit, you can use the jig saw to cut the smaller hole. Remember, always test ride using your maul after each step to make sure that all is okay. After all of your paths have been cut, you can cut the round offs. Your top piece and most difficult part of this project has been completed.



Here is my test step.



Now, you will add a 2" hanger piece for the back. This will offer the right angle support for this project and will be used for screwing it to the area where you will mount it. I also added three triangle pieces for addition support especially from my 3 lb maul. I pre-drilled all of my holes and countersunk them.

Additional step:



I added this step because I believe in going above and beyond to avoid any possibilities of breaking apart. Prior to screwing the project together, I applied glue and clamped it up. It was allowed to sit overnight before mounting.



Once the project has been completed, I mounted the rack onto my tool wall and stored all of my mauls on it.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment