Here is another simple weekend project that can be made for a special friend or family member. You can decorate your leather piece anyway you feel like, I decided to use wine. This one pictured in this blog post is being enjoyed by a dear friend and leathercrafter in Canada.
I have a circle clicker die that I used to make this 7.5" leather piece. Normally, I would select a piece of wood first and cut the leather to size, but in this case I did it backwards.
I used the internet to seek a perfect pattern for the center of the design. In this case, I used the silhouette of a wine glass.
As you can see, I did some sketching onto the pattern I printed out. I wasn't sure how I was going to decorate it, so I just did some simple sketches until I saw what I liked.
As you can see, I transferred the design and then changed my mind.....something I usually do often. I ended up cutting and beveling the wine glass. I decided to use Fiebing's black oil dye for the silhouette and Burgundy dye for the interior portion. Every stage of my projects are either thought out before hand or on the fly. It depends on my mood at the time. Since I do not have continuous time to work on my projects, I end up having a lot of time to think. With this project, I decided to try an inlay approach to the design.
I split the exterior portion of the leather into even spaces using the design of a clock. I then marked and transferred the number 5 repeatedly as a joke.
For the 12, 3, 6, & 9 markers, I decided to decorate these areas a bit further so that they would stand out.
I took the Burgundy color to the exterior piece by coloring the number 5 around the circle. I then prepared to glue the inlay piece to the exterior as shown in the picture.
After the glued parts were secured, I cut a stitching channel and stitched the pieces together using waxed thread. I then applied a coat of Wyosheen to the project to seal it. While I waited for this sealant to dry, I started working on the wooden base. I picked this wooden base at Michael's, a local arts & craft store.
I decided to paint the wooden base black and seal it. Once all of the parts were ready, I worked and finished the edge of the leather piece. I then applied a coat of contact cement to the wooden base and leather and afixed it to each other.
Here is the project completed.
Thanks for following my blog spot....stay tuned for another great project!